We are roughly 5 days out, so I’ve decided to get a start on packing everything but clothes… And, no foreign exchange packing extravaganza is complete without foreign language (Chinese in this case, of course) Disney music! Lol, at least, none of MY packing extravaganzas.
Anyway, this isn’t exactly an “interesting” post, but I thought any future NSLI-Yers might find it useful to know some of what I’m packing, so here goes:
- Shampoo and conditioner! I’ve stocked up on that because I don’t expect to have an easy time locating curly hair, anti-frizz hair products in China. To compensate for the added weight from hair products, I’m bringing less soap; that’s much more easily bought abroad.
- Multiple packs of travel tissues, since most public restrooms in China don’t provide toilet paper…
- First aid stuff, including Band-aids, Neosporin, aloe vera gel, and aspirin
- Camera, journal, and netbook to record my adventures!
- Power adapter so I’ll be able to charge my phone, iPod, camera, and netbook in Chinese outlets
- 2 notebooks, a folder, pens & pencils for my language and culture classes
- Pocket Chinese dictionary
- 2 towels and 2 washcloths
- Host family gifts! I haven’t quite gotten all of them yet, but they include music CDs and a basketball jersey from my city’s team
- 1 formal outfit
- Other clothes, including 1 pair of jeans, 5-ish pairs of shorts, 5-ish t shirts, sneakers, and flip-flops
^That there is by no means exhaustive, but I have 5 days to get everything packed, a NSLI-Y alum friend who I’m dragging gift shopping on Friday, and a wonderfully supportive group of current and past NSLI-Yers on Facebook!
June 25th is coming fast!! 😀